Thursday, 18 June 2015

TOKYO STREET STYLE

Hey lovelies, 

I've recently been lucky enough to travel a place I've always wanted to go: Tokyo! For me, Tokyo offers so much in terms of technology, food, and of course fashion and has always been on the top of my travel destination wish list for these reasons. I remember studying Tokyo's fashion scene in my first year of university and fell in love with the futuristic and outlandish outfits. I've definitely been inspired by Tokyo's fashion scene in my own personal style so it was amazing to finally be in the heart of one of the most fashionable cities in the world.  


Obviously the entire city of Tokyo is renowned worldwide for it's forward thinking fashion but it was Harajuku in particular that I was so keen to visit. I was hoping I could just rock up and see all the Harajuku girls doing their thang but it wasn't quite the case. I did see a few walking around however and plucked up the courage to ask for a quick shameful snap - they must get so sick of tourists ha ha. Anyway they were all super lovely and happily posed for me but the area isn't exactly what's described on the Internet. I'm sure it used to be but because of the immense increase in tourism they now all meet elsewhere. 







I'm sure most of you do but for those who don't know who the Harajuku girls are, Harajuku is a street style which originated among teens in Shibuya, Japan, recently popularised by Gwen Stefani. This umbrella term includes a number of different styles including Cosplay - dressing up as your favourite anime character, Sweet Lolita - inspired by child like themes, Alice in Wonderland ect, and Kawaii - literally translating in Japanese to 'Cute'.  Here's a few photos from my street style snaps collection to give you an idea of the fashion scene - how cute does everyone look!  

Would love to know what you think! 
Have the Harajuku girls inspired your personal style in any way? 
 J x